Featured Post

What (Not) to Wear

Have you been to the gym lately? No, I wasn't implying anything... I just mean, What are people wearing to the gym these days? Anything ...

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

When a student says... Can we do something fun today?

They file in as ordinary as always, and you are gearing up for the lesson: tidying, locating papers, taking attendance, having a mild panic attack, what have you.  A student plops down in her seat and before class even begins she says, "Can we do something fun today?"

And this runs through your mind: Something fun? Really? I stay up late and spend way more time than I'm paid for to find interesting, engaging activities for your young minds to thrive on every day. I cut paper. I use markers. I go through index cards like they're toilet paper trying to organize 'fun' things for you all every day. Every. Day.  And this is the thanks I get?

This phenomenon might come from a place of exasperation, boredom, insensitivity, or it may be a completely insignificant comment altogether.  Who knows? Perhaps we should ask one day. But maybe they don't even know.
There are two facts which we all must face if we shall live on in such trying conditions (read: sarcasm):

Numero Uno: Students, no matter their grade level, will always want to learn by having fun.  Note that I did not say, 'will always want to play games' because that is not the case.  Although they may not admit it, students want to be stimulated, they just don't want to know they are being stimulated.  They want it to be sneaky.  They want to be able to exercise their minds and use them; this is why meaningless games of Hang Man and Seven Up does not always pacify them.

Numero Dos: Alas, 'tis but too true. Learning is NOT always fun.  Perhaps its the way I was raised but I think this is more the rule than the exception.  Don't get me wrong, the old days of a teacher standing at the front of the room and talking at the class should be over.  But think of some of the most important things you've learned - did you learn them in a fun environment? How to talk? How to walk? How to do CPR? How to say "I'm sorry"? How to accept discipline in a mature way, call your insurance company, know when you're being taken advantage of, buy a car, etc?   Did you do any of those things while laughing hysterically, having a party, or throwing confetti in the air? Probably not.

Life lessons are not always learned in a fun way.  But that doesn't mean that we as teachers should not try to put a new spin on things in our day-to-day classes.  We keep trying.  And when a student asks, "Can we do something fun today?" maybe we'll be able to say, You know what, I'd like that.

2 comments:

  1. O yippy! I get to be your 1st comment!! And I'm already a big fan. :) I love this style of writing,and although I'm not a teacher, I am a parent. So I'm sure that lots of what you write about will not be lost on me! I will visit often... & I miss you dahling! We've got to get together soon. Service, lunch, movie, or just blankly staring at eachother. Take your pick! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read this, absorbed it, Pandora came in right on time with "Girls Just Want to Have Fun." Of course! Cyndi Lauper tells us:

    Some boys take a beautiful girl
    And hide her away from the rest of the world
    I wanna be the one to walk in the sun
    Oh girls, they wanna have fun
    Oh girls, just wanna have

    That's all they really want, is some fun......

    That includes you, of course. A wise man, John Crispin, once had us write down I A S M.
    In order to be effective, we had to appreciate the meaning of I Am Sold Myself. Your countless hours of preparation sound like sheer drudgery not fun. Index cards! Markers! GRRRH! If you aren't walking in the sun, kicking up sand and screaming maniacally at those seagulls,your students aren't getting the real PJ. You know the one (shudders, trying to hide.)

    So bring her out. It's not the message. It's the messenger. When you are having fun, your students....

    who cares? YOU ARE HAVING FUN!

    Great site. Interesting name as we are all new teachers. Or old dogs. Looking forward to your future posts and fellow comments.

    ReplyDelete